Question

eileena

How long is a bankruptcy REALLY on your records?
I recently applied for a citibank visa to use at Costco since they stopped accepting AMEX cards. The credit card request was declined by Citi with the reason being my previous bankruptcy. I had filed bankruptcy in 2001...FIFTEEN years ago!. Since 2001, I have had zero derogatory marks on my credit. I had no problem getting a home mortgage in 2012. I've also had several auto loans since then and been approved for 3-4 credit cards. My credit score since 2011 fluctuates between 830-840. The 2001 bankruptcy does not appear on my credit report. So my question is, how long does a BK REALLY stay on your records? Even though it doesn't appear on your credit report? Do banks keep and pass around to other banks their own records of past BK filings? Forever?

Most Helpful Response

10 years. If it is still on your credit file, then write a letter of dispute to the credit bureaus or do an online dispute to have it removed.

Were any accounts from Citibank or it subsidiaries included in your BK? Most if not all the lenders do keep their own internal records. BK is matter of public record, unless it's expunged or purged, it is possible it still would show up during records search.