Question

RoRealtor863

How long does old negative information stay on your credit report and how do you get it removed?

Usually stays for seven years, except for Chapter 7 bankruptcy which stays for ten years, then they drop off.  You don't have to do anything but wait for the time to pass.

Same here

I'm facing the same thing, except I co-signed for my soon to be ex when we were still what I thought happily married. I didn't know he had bad credit or I would have said no. When I moved to Germany with him (he was in the army) I didn't know ANYTHING about finances as he lied and hid everything. So in that case, I didn't know that there were 2 missed payments on a vehicle we used to own; last reported date was Oct. 2009. It wouldn't be beneficial to call the former bank and try to ask if they would remove it sooner right? I can wait, it's a few more months, but I still worry that they would try to keep it on longer., it is a bank after all. My credit is still pretty decent but I am really trying to move on from my past. When I came back early from Germany, he left me a MESS to clean up..a big terrible financial mess. Thank you for your advice in advance.