Question

vader1127

How long does it take for a late payment to clear off of your credit report?

30 days late

Hi,

Back in November 2015, i had a late payment. It was a one time late payment, mistake on my part. But since then iv been paying my debt off, on time, no more late payments. Iv been in good standing for 8 months now. Im trying to remove the mark off my credit report since we are buying a house nad my mortgage lender wants the 30 day late mark off my report.

How should i do this? I already tried to write a goodwill letter to credit card company, that didnt work. They wrote back explaining i need to contact the credit burough. Then I tried disputing it to Trans Union but that didnt work either. So what now?

tkburr23

We went through hard times for a few years and were late on our mortgage payments up to 180 days.  I applied for a modification, but even during the application process and approval process, they still mark  you late.  You aren't considered current until the modification actually begins.  That killed my credit to a certain extent.  Since then I have been on time every month for 2 years.  I wrote a goodwill letter to my mortgage company in April of this year.  Much to my surprise, my credit report was updated and ALL late payments were deleted from my report.  When you write a goodwill letter, the key is to take responsibility for your late payments, praise them for their customer service and all the help they have given you and just own up to it.  Let them know in the letter that you are trying to rebuild your life, rebuild your credit, live a healthier credit life.  I wouldn't say suck up, but man up, admit it was your fault, thank them and be honest.  I am excited to see how much my credit score will rise seeing as they deleted ALL of my late payments.  I was in total shock that they did.  I thought maybe they would delete some but they deleted all 32 and let me start fresh as a result of sending them this letter!!

Ygoyal

Did you get any success?

I am kind of have the same issue where the good will letter didn't work.

Although the previous poster provided good advice regarding getting your score up despite having a late payment., the actual answer to your question is 7 years, and it does not matter what type of account it is, all late payments fall off after 7 years. So currently if you had a late payment in April 2006, it will be leaving your credit report this month.

vader1127

Thank you!

Christinejeudy

Do you go by the date it was closed?

bryanjay

I have late payments from 2005 and 2006 showing on my credit. If they are supposed to fall off after 7 yrs why are they not dropping off?

Most Helpful Response

Ask Nicely and Dispute

I have been successful in getting creditors to remove late pays and other derrogatory remarks by calling and asking to speak with a supervisor.  I explaned I was really trying hard to improve my credit and was there any way to have the late pay removed.  Some will Some won't.  the next step would be to dispute the item with the bureaus, (Transunion, Equifax and Experian), If you dispute an item, say there is a late pay and you dispute saying you were never late the reporting bureau has 30 days to validate with the creditor.  If the creditor does not validate within that time it comes off of your report.  You can dispute all negative remarks over and over again.  Sometimes persistance does pay.  

Myrrhs17

I have a late payment that just popped up on my credit report and it dropped my score 47 points! Would you suggest I maila dispute letter to all 3 bureaus via certified mail?

Same question

If you ask is there any reason a company cannot take back the late payment remark?

psrenfro

Enter Your ReplyI have tried that through 3 separate creditors. They have all 3 said NO we are reporting accurately. Now I am disputing with the credit bureaus.

Late payments reported OVER 7 years ago

So when I am looking at my report - it still shows some late payments from far back - as in 2005. Does that still effect my credit? How do I get it removed from the credit report?

Thanks!

Surrending a RV trailer when filing chap

Bankruptcy attorney told us we had to surrender the RV trailer even though we wanted to keep it. No missed payments at the time of filing chapter 13. Now that creditor shows us with 19 missed payments after filing

Ugly is forever... well, almost!

One late payment can stay on your credit report for a long time!  It basically depends on what type of account you were late with, I think.  I have found late payments from about 6 years ago on my own report and on my husband's as well.  The biggest impact on your credit score seems to be how recent the late payment was, and on what type of account.  When my husband began receiving Social Security, he didn't properly plan ahead before changing jobs so he ran short to pay a mortgage payment.  It was reported as 30 days past due when it was just past the grace period.  His payments are on time now and his score is slowly, slowly going back up.  It can take two years or more of on time payments to make up for one 'oops'!!!!!!  That is why paying on time is so important for your credit score!

vader1127

Thanks!

Late Payment

How do you contact to remove old late payments?

nguyenq66850

You can dispute only erroneous item in your report. It is your responsibility to pay your debt on time. So if you paid late, the late payment will be in your credit report for a long time, just as discussed here (7 years maximum).

is there a place on this site to show you when the late payment was made? I have 3 late payments showing up and im not sure with who or when they were. 

RichieW13

Go to www.annualcreditreport.com for detailed information about your credit history.  It's free.

sotojosh

You can go to Full Credit Report, then on the squares you will see on the middle a bit to the right of the screen, where it has the Miss Payments in History of your actual credit record.

What Next?

I asked my creditor to remove two late payments and they say this -

Management is aware of the emails between us as I was told by management that we cannot adjust what was reported to the bureaus.

What should be rebuttal to this? Can they legally change info that was submitted to credit bureaus? if so, how?

Thanks

Sal