Question

amymw79

How long does it take for a derogatory mark to be removed from your credit?

Most Helpful Response

amymw

Can be 7 years from last activity.

I had one and settled the acct and it came off after exactly two years.  I think it may depend on the individual company and other factors like: is the acct settled (paid), etc...  I think it is up to the company reporting it.

One thing I can tell you is that when it came off, my score jumped up 30 or 40 points. 

If the acct is settled, maybe you can request they stop reporting it.  They may laugh at you and it may be a small percentage chance, but. what have you got to lose.  On the other hand: if the acct isnt settled and you owe them money, then they are possible ****ed and contacting them may just start your seven year clock over.

Usually 7 years from "date of last activity", which usually means payment.  If it was due to a bankruptcy, it could remain for 10 years.