how long does credit card payment take to reflect on your credit score?
Say I pay off all my credit cards one day or significantly reduce my usage, how long does it take for this transaction to affect my credit score? As soon as this does I would like to apply for an auto loan and want my score to be at its best

nati22

Best Response Chosen by   Profile Image nati22

Each creditor reports data once per month to the credit agencies. This day varies by the creditor. Depending on when you pay, it can be more then 30 days before it is reflected because of the timing of when you paid, the processing of the payment, and when they report.

Best thing to do is to pull your score regularly on here to see how things may change in the course of a month and get an idea for when each of them report.

Response by
phnxangell

Most Helpful Response

Response by
phnxangell

also consider refinancing

I was trying to do the same thing as you, lower my utliization in hopes of boosting my score before applying for a car loan. A couple of loan officers told me it can take as long as 90 days for the lessened balances to reflect in your credit score. 

I chose to get a loan at a higher rate now and refinance later once my cards are paid off and I have a half dozen car payments under my belt. My score should be much lower by then, and I'll have a loan at a much lower rate than I could today.

Response by
peymonster

Submit to the Community