Posted in Taxes

how long does a tax lien remain on your credit score
I have a tax lien (public record) on my credit score. It was for $250 (!). I thought it was paid off, but the state recalculated my owed amount, found an extra $250, then when my payments stopped coming in, filed the lien against me. I promptly paid it off four years ago, but the lien is still on my credit. Even worse, either the state or the court screwed up the account numbers, so it shows up twice on my report. I called and filed challenges with each of the big three, but none removed it (even though they said they would).
so what now? I've done what I'm supposed to do. My credit score continues to suffer from this.

Thanks for any guidance!