Question

desertlizard83

How long do I need to wait after buying a home to apply for new credit?
I've just returned to the US after living abroad for several years, so I'm trying to get settled. I needed a place to live, a car, and cell phone, etc. I just bought a house, and of course got utilities connected. Since I didn't want any hits to my credit during the loan process, I'd been using a prepaid cell phone. After closing on the house, I tried to get a cell phone plan and was rejected, even though my credit score is still 800+. I had also been waiting to get a car, but now I'm afraid to apply for an auto loan and also be rejected.

How long do I need to wait after buying a home to apply for new credit? I know it's a lot at once, but my credit score is high, and my income is sufficient to cover what I'm trying to purchase.

Six months would probably be best, but there are many lenient auto lenders out there and if your credit is good and your debt to income is good, then there should be no problem. What reason did they give you for the denial of the cell phone plan? Find out and try to fix that problem.

desertlizard83

They didn't give me any reason. I answered some questions on the phone, handed the phone back to the employee, and he informed me I had been denied.