Question

TLA45

How long do debts stay active?I hav 1 frm 25yrs ago & 1 frm 15yrs ago.
The 25 yr ago one is a student loan,I only had 1 but ck says 3. The report says its closed so why is it on there? The other debts have an amount but I don't recognize who they are from. How do I find out? Plus those have to be at least 15 years old.

Open accounts are the debts that stay on your report for as long as they are well "open". Collections lasts 7 years from the date of it being delinquent. Public records, judgements 10 years.  Write a dispute letter to the credit bureaus reporting the old collections and ask that they remove it.

The student loans may show three because they may have moved it several times in an attempt to collect.  Last I knew, student loans do not drop off your credit report and remain collectable until paid.  That's one of the "bennies" the student loan industry got several years ago when the bankruptcy laws were revised.  And student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, either. So you may still owe on the student loan.

Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports (something we are strongly advised to do once a year).  Any errors should be disputed and I recommend doing disputes in writing, keeping copies of all communications for your own records until this issue is resolved.