Question

alucero27

how long can an unpaid medical bill stay on your credit

Most Helpful Response

Medical Debt

The truth is not 7 years the up to part may seem misleading. There are different laws in every state that governs consumer credit. The fact is the minimum for most states is 5 years. The most seems to be 7 years check your state laws. You can google it. It seems unreal to me that medical bills can create such a negative impact on your credit for such a long time. 98% of my debt is medical bills. I watch the dates like a hawk. the oldest one on my credit report is from 2011 and they seem to remove after the second month after that 5 year mark so it seems to stay for 5 years 2 months if that makes sense.

7 YEARS

Unpaid medcial collections can remain on your credit report for up to 7 years.

Is there a way to get derogatory medcal

I just sasw my credit score drop over 150 p0oints and I do pay my bills on time---except that I am on a fixed income and I have 3-5 outstanding medical debts and 3/5 have been turned over to debt collectors and they have posted derogatory remarks on my credit. A medical catasrophy happened, I am 65, and I am on a fixed income. I wrote everyone and told them that I WOULD pay them just as soon as I could and explained my fnancial situation...still these three debt collectors reported me to the credit bureau...is there anything I can do to get this mess off my crefit trmort and restore a decent credit score?

How I fixed mine

I was told by my banker that once I pay my debt i can call them and ask them to close the account and as soon as I did that they agreed and said I would receive  a letter 30 days after confirming that procedure and my credit also went up about 100 points.

Collections

Often hostitals and doctors don't want to persue collecting unpaid medical bills, so they will sell it to a collections agency who WILL persue you (after about a year). Once the bill is owned by a collections compay it will be visible on your credit report and will stay for a while... In my past experiences 3 years (before my bill was paid off).

Disputes

Aftrer an items has been disupted on either of the credit reports i.e. transunion, equifax and it's incorrect, has anyone disputed and it be removed and how long did it take?  Or, can you share the method or approach that you used?

furbabyparent

I just went through that and it was a legal judgment. There were two seperate judgments when there should have only been one. I disputed it with TransUnion and was found an incorrect mark. I recived notification within 48-72 hours and I do believe it is off my report now. That was last week

miki711

I just submitted a Direct Dispite thru this site (Credit Karma). It took less than a week to resolve, even though the estimated date was a month out. I checked my account today to check the status of it and it said it had been removed from my report. I'm sure that each dispute investigation will be different for each person, though.

medicel bills

10 i have hade medicel bills on my report

My ex didn't pay for my medical bills!

My ex husband was supposed to pay for my medical bills according to our divorce. I didn't know about the unpaid bills until I recently got my credit report. I still have 7 medical bills in collections, bills he was supposed to pay for when I became disabled!

Should I contact my former lawyer, 2 hours away from here or dispute the bills one at a time??

Some of my bills are from 2013 so they will stay on my credit report until 2020!

LenaMM

I tried to use the "Direct Dispute" here on Credit Karma for one account, saying I was not Liable for the account due to a divorse. That did not work.

I copied the credit reports from Credit Karma along with my court papers and wrote a letter about all the medical bills and two un paid prperty taxes that I though should have been paid a  long time a go. I sent one letter to Equifax and one to Transuion.  There were a lot of accountsso it took about a month for them to look at everything.

Equifax removed everything!! My credit went up 100 points in a week to 749. I got a letter from Transunion saying they had removed everything they could. I still have the collection account I complained about through Direct Disput left on their report! They said they had sent my information to the collection agancy. It should really have been removed since my husband is responsible for my medical accounts + the hospital's charity paid that bill 3 years ago! My Transunion score is at 642 so hopefully it will take a big jump as well as soon as that collection account is gone!

Looking back, it would probably have been better to send a letter with the court papers and not use the Direct Dispute.. They removed all my other medical bills but the one I used Direct Dispute for! When you use Direct Dispute you have no way of adding any paperwork, you just tell them the reason.

Medical grants

Have you applied directly for hospital grants and pharmicutical grants with you medical provider. This helped me a lot. 

i think u take him to civil suit. unless the business is ggood to u. they can take a copy of your divorce and follow up with him.