Question

eyesontheboat

how long can a credit card report on your credit?
I had two credit cards when I was 19, I'm 33 now. I defaulted on both credit cards and still owe them money. The account was closed in 2000 or 1999, yet they both are still reporting on my credit, the last report was on june of 2013. how long until this drops off my credit, or is there something I should be doing?

Most Helpful Response

Let me correct some bad advice.  If you contact a creditor, that DOES NOT reset a the 7 year clock.  If you pay them, that does reset the clock.  If an account goes unpaid, it will fall off your report 7 years from the date it went delinquent.  Instead of contacting the collectors/creditors, go to www.annualcreditreport.com and request validation of this account from all three bureaus.  They'll either send you detailed info or delete the accounts.  Just corresponding with a creditor DOES NOT reset the 7 year clock, sorry EddyTX.

It appears you have had contact

If you have no contact then the account would fall off after 7 years. If you contact the creditor, that resets the clock back to 7 years. 

Pull your credit report. If you have not had contact with the creditors in a while. You can mail a "validation letter" for each account to each at least one of the CRA's   A template for the letter can be found online. Google it. The letter will require the creditor to provide proof that the account is yours and that they have followed all laws in trying to collect it. Most time the effort isn't worth it to them or they don't have it and they will have to remove the collection from your CR. 

Good Luck.