Question

cowgirlcole

How long can a collection company keep reporting an old debt as new?
I owe a cell phone company money. It was Verizon. My credit report says it's $1,300 although I don't know how they ever got that figure. I was in dispute over the bill and just left that company. I'll never win the dispute as I've tried back then. I discontinued Verizon in 2010. On the Credit Karma site, it shows it was opened in 2013 and last reported last month. The last reported date always changes to keep it current. I've never called them or verified my debt to them. I've had zero contact since 2010. I have tried to dispute the debt through the Credit Karma website to no avail in the past. How long can they keep the debt open and current by updating the date? It seems like it will never fall off if they can just keep doing that. What can I do?

Most Helpful Response

The seven years starts from 2010 or whenever the original account became delinquent. Usually one month after the last payment that you made. Dates that collections were opened have nothing to do with the seven year time frame and neither do the monthly updates that they do. I suspect that this account should be close to falling off due to the seven year rule, you should do some reading on "early exclusion" and then contact the credit bureaus to find out when the account is due to fall off and if you are within the time frame for "early exclusion" go ahead and ask for it. Transunion will sometimes do it six months prior to the seven year mark and Equifax and Experian will sometimes do removals three months prior to the seven year mark.