Question

weitelbach

How long can a collection account stay on your your report, and from what date does that time start?

Most Helpful Response

A collection account will stay on your report for 7 years after the last activity on the account, including the acknowledgement of the debt by the debtor. Even if you talk to them on the phone and say "I owe this but I will never pay this..." the clock starts over on that date.

unknownlust1970

What if the collector sells the debit to someone else. when does the clock start. 

getanswers

The first response I don't feel answered properly your question or mine, now I don't know about you, but I am not going to call my bank after 7 years to say anything.  My situation may differ from yours so hopefully many people will respond and we will each find more acceptable answers more fitting to our situations.  In my case the bank has continued to report my account as a collection/charge off "CO" for for 3 years, every month a new report date.  My credit report has 3 full lines showing "CO" in every month?  At that rate am I not being penalized for up to 14 years?  Maybe longer if they continue to report after 7 years.

SaudadePR

By last activity you mean "last reported"?