Question

Joeydactyl

How long before my score goes back up due to high credit utilization?
Due to moving for work, i have had to use 95% of my credit card limit and it stayed like that for 2.5 months. Overtime my credit score has dropped 80 points. I have just brought down the card's utilization to a little under 40%. I am wondering how long it will be before my score starts to rise again and how quickly will it rise?

Most Helpful Response

High utilization, paid down quickly,

Shows creditors that you can manage your finanaces.  

You don't mention the age of the account and that does have an effect. It becomes a "law of averages" type of thing.  The age the account and how that high utilization effects the average utilization over the life of the account.  But in general you can expect to see your score bounce back after the utilization drops significantly. Get the account back down to your average utilization and you'll see your score go back to where it was before, if not a little higher. 

Maxing your credit, which i don't condone unless you know how and when it will be paid, As long it is the Exception and not the rule could actually benifit you.