Question

kandywarhol

How long before collections shows up in credit score/report?
I moved out of my last apartment and stupidly did not cancel the internet as I figured my former roommate would just pay it off until the contract was done. Well, he's an idiot, so that did not happen. I had no idea it was not getting paid until he gave me a collections letter from Southwest Collections from last month! Way after I could have disputed it and talked to them. Evidently he doesn't check the mail either. So, in a panic, I just went ahead and paid the debt (he paid me back). My credit score is still fine (740), so I'm wondering if/when it will ever show up. I'm going to be moving again in about 6 months, so I want to make sure my credit score and report check out smoothly.

The timeline is: Moved out in March 2015.
He never paid a Comcast bill and ended up canceling the internet in September. He received the collections letter addressed to me in September. He gave it to me in early October and I paid it off immediately. The payment has posted, debt is paid, etc.

Comcast never actually showed up on any of my reports; if it did, then I would've seen that my ex wasn't paying the bill on time. So, will it suddenly show up as collections? When do the collection agencies usually report on it? Do they report before or after the debt is paid? Thanks!

You should be fine. The collection company got the money so it is doubtful that they are going to waste any more time or money with the account. If it would pop up on your reports (which is highly unlikely) do some reading on how to write a "Goodwill Letter". I wouldn't worry about it though.