Question

Dyerwolf

how long before a bankruptcy is removed from my credit report?

Most Helpful Response

I Filed in Jan 2007, it just came off this month.  So the 10 year mark is correct....my score went up too!

Kimber727

Was that date your filed date or your discharge date? I filed in May 2007 and discharged Oct 2007. When should it fall off?

unfair7964

I spoke to a lawer and he said," that it should only be 6 years to be left on your credit report. I mention 7 years and he said, no, as far as he know 6 years ever since he has been a lawyer it has always been 6 years, but the credit people keep it on there for 7 and you should get it removed by law. They have to remove it by law." 

MissMoneyBlu

Did you have to do anything or it just disapeared? did you get an alert from Credit Karma?

mine was discharged feb 2017 so mine should be at the 10 year mark next month.

ddougal

How much did your score go up?

bankrupsy

When will my bankrupsy drop off my Credit report?  I declared chap 13 in 2012.

Random789644

It should drop off in 2019. Chapter 13 stays on your record for seven years.

TEN YEARS

poopypants5

My attorney told me it was 7 years depending how you handle your debts in that time frame..... This is the first time I have been in this type of situation with no way out other than bankruptcy....the worst time in my fianancial history!

heartnbutterfly

I think it depends on when you filed. I filed for a Ch 7 after my divorce about 10 or 11 years ago. At that time I was told it would be removed in 7 years. About 5 years ago my husband & I had to file for a Ch 13 together, & we were told the laws had changed, & now it's 10 years before it drops off. We are about to get our discharge of debt in about a week!!! I'm curious to see what the other answers are. 

Random789644

Not quite 10 years... if it's Chapter 7, it's ten years from being granted. If it's Chapter 13, it's only seven years from filing date.

Bankruptcy

I filed a Chapter 13 in 2012.  Have tried to work on my credit for few years now, but very, very slow.  How can I go faster?

I am 80 yrs old, just retired about 2 years ago and want a great credit score before I die! 

kristinespapa

There is no "quick fix", however, Credit unions have loans you get that are designed to help you improve your score.  Check with a credit union near you.   I have opened a few. The first one increased my score by nearly 30 points!

10 years

Random789644

Only for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Chapter 13 only stays on for seven years.

BANKRUPTCY

What if bankruptcy was dismissed and NEVER ACTIVE .

caruso56

If you filed bankruptcy with the court it seems that could get complicated.

If you didn't make any payments to the firm or the trustee I would thibnk it's a wash.

Random789644

If it's been dismissed, you're still on the hook for the debts (or if Chapter 13, go back on the hook for all the original debts). Good luck with that.

alex81va

The filing will still remain on your creidt report although your case was dismissed. If you file a second bankruptcy, both will appear on your credit report. 

Random789644

If you got your Chapter 13 bankruptcy dismissed because you missed a payment or two to the trustee, then all the debts that fell under it would come roaring back, and you'd owe them all (and all the nasty derogatory reports would likely come roaring back as well.)

How to submit to the reporting bureaus

It will be great it Credit Karma made it easier to contact the reporting bureaus.  I have a mark on my report that should not be there, but I have no idea how to do anything about it. 

lilredsmomma

If you keep disputing it  it will evently taken off..just keep disputting

Enter Your Reply

Oliver74

You can go to annualcreditreport.com and pull your free credit reports for all 3 agencies and dispute the mark with them directly.

why does banckrucy take a longer time fo

why does bankrucy takes longer for some than others . I know people that it only took 7years and there are those that take a little longer

faidros

Chapter 7 is full bankruptcy where you use your assets to pay off debts, if you have no assets then all debts are written off and you do not owe anyone that was listed on the bankruptcy.  This will remain on your record for 10 years.   Chapter 7 is where you make a payment schedule to pay off the debts.   This remains on your record for 7 years.  In addition to the bankruptcy, your credit report will reflect those accounts which went into collection and had late payment indications.  

1badvette

Mine was removed in 7yrs because if in my case a homeowner meaning my home was protected by the bankrupcty i still made payments to the mortgage company separated  from the bankrupcty

Bankruptcy

I file bankruptcy and 1987 and it's deal on my report

rlcctc61

You need to contact the credit bureau that it is still reporting it. Ask them what you need to do to get it removed.

Tigger19631961

The reply was correct... That should be off your record for all three credit bureaus.  You can easily get do this by filing a dispute through annualcreditreport.com.  They will file to all three agencies for you and you will receive the outcome and a copy of you reports by mail.  It's pretty easy.

1badvette

dispute to credit company they will remove 10yrs is the limit but in some case such as mine 7yrs it gone

bankruptcy

how long is it before it is removed from my account

Random789644

I actually went and looked it up - depends on which type of bankruptcy you got. For Chapter 13, it's seven years (since you partially repaid debts). For Chapter 7, it's ten years from date granted (since you didn't repay anything).