Question

freeforce3

How long afyer BK do i look for a CC? What are some good ones to rebuild?
I filed for bankruptcy in October. I think My debits will be discharged in mid Jan 2014. When do I start looking for a credit card or two to build my credit up? What ones are good for people with recent bankruptcy's?

Rebuilding credit after bankruptcy

Actually. once your debts are discharged you will be golden in the eyes of creditors.  Why?  Because they know you have no debt and youj cannot declare bankruptcy again for many years.   They will start sending you offers shortly after the discharge, but like a good consumer, watch the interest rates the offer you.  Accept one or two cards and for goodness sake, KEEP THEM CURRENT!!   Any card will help rebuild your credit, even a bank card that is pre paid.  I know that Bank of America has a pre-paid credit card and report to the credit agencies.   Good Luck. 

Rebuilding credit after bankruptcy

My first credit card after having the declare was a Capital One card with no annual fee. The credit limit was low, but it didnt matter to me because i only used it for gas and groceries and paid off immedidatly. I would even deduct the amount I put on the card from my checkbook register so it was already accounted for and I didnt end up spending that money already earmarked for the card on something else. (Just put an asterick by it when you enter it into your register, then at the end of the week/month add up the line items that have astericks and pay it to your card.) In fact, almost 5 years later, i still use that strategy and it works perfectly for me.

A few months after my first card, I was able to open a rewards card and i used that one in the very same way.

Just take your time, be diligent and disciplined, and by all means, live within your means. I actually prefer to live slighly below my means for that extra sense of security.