Question

sepia07

How long after my bankruptcy is discharged can I purchase a home?
I heard that I have to wait 2 years. If so, are there any special programs that would let me buy sooner rather than later?

It depends

For Chapter 7 via an FHA loan, the minimum is 2 years.

For Chapter 13, you can actually qualify if you have a record of paying on-time for at least one year.

"FHA rules allow a lender to consider approving an FHA loan application from a borrower who is still paying on a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy-but only if those payments have been made and verified for a period of at least one year. "

http://www.fha.com/fha_article?id=305

Most Helpful Response

Discharge of bankruptcy

wen you receive a discharge after I file for bankruptcy 

Bankruptcy

How I can get my descharge from bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy is a negative on your credit score for 10 years and there is no way it can be removed before then.  Continue renting and saving money for a down payment on a house because that is one positive thing you can do.  Your credit will have to be rebuilt after the 10 years is up, but that is the price of bankruptcy.