Question

tonytoes

How is my wife adding me to newly opened credit cards effecting my credit score?
My wife has recently, over the last one to two years, opened three new credit card accounts and added me as an authorized user. Two of the accounts are currently maxed out.
This is lowering my score I am assuming. What can I do? If I ask to be taken off of these accounts that will lower my credit score as well, wouldn't it? Can I even ask to be removed from an account that someone added me too?

Authorized users...

Authorized users get all the credit history that the account owner has for the account.

If you were added to an account that has 10 years of perfect payment history then you win!

If you were added to an account that has 5x 90 days late 5 years ago you lose...

If she runs up the account and does not pay it you lose too...

While as an authorized user you have none of the account responsibility, you get all the glory or all the bruses that come with the account. Depending on the scenario Removing yourself from the account may or may not help or hurt you or effectively do nothing.