Question

malexj93

How high can my credit score go with a debt in collections?
I have a single debt that was sent to collections and I am working to pay it off. I am aware that I have to wait 7 years for it to stop affecting my score, even after I pay it off. So my question is, until that drops off, about how high of a score is possible to acheive? Can I get up to 750+ even with that derogatory remark?

Truth is, no one knows.  The formula is an ancient Chinese secret.

I am pretty much completely recovered from BK7.  The only negative remark on my credit report is the BK7 itself, 4 years in the past.  No late payments, no collections, no other derogs, etc.  I have tons of on-time revolving accounts, a mortgage, car loan, boat loan, etc.  Basically, I am absolutely perfect minus the BK7.  My score has been hovering around 750 for over a year now.  Im thinking this is it.  My score will not go higher until the BK7 clears 6 years from now.

The good news is that 750 or so is enough to get the very best in financing terms.  As far as my lenders are concered, its as if the BK7 doesnt even exist.

As long as the collection is on your reports it will continue to hold your scores back, but that hold will reduce as the account ages. Do some reading on "pay for delete agreements"