Question

mwedzi

How have all of my credit card numbers been stolen?
Can anybody shed light on what is the cause of this so I can figure out what to do about it? My debit card number and credit cards from 3 different banks have all been stolen. So card numbers from 4 financial institutions have been stolen from me, all within the past month! None of the physical cards themselves were stolen. One I keep at home in a box of valuables and basically never touch it, but I used it 2 weeks ago to buy a Kindle book (saved in an Amazon account, still didn't touch the card) and now it's been stolen too. How does this happen? I don't see any suspicious new accounts on Credit Karma. Though is all my account on Credit Karma? If so, I wonder if CK itself could be the problem.

I did move a few months ago and filed a change of address with the post office, which they said they never got. So I had to file a new one. Maybe one of my statements got delivered to someone else? But still, the most it could have been was 1 because I do all the rest electronically so they don't send me statements. I'm so confused.

Most Helpful Response

How do you know???

How do you know someone has gotten your credit card and debit card numbers?  Have there been charges made to your accounts by someone other than you?  If so, get copies of your credit reports from the major credit bureaus (Credit Karma doesn't count since it is a tool for your personal use) go over them thoroughly and file disputes about anything that is not yours but is listed on your reports.  You may consider contacting the bureaus and have a fraud alert put on your records so no one can open any accounts in your name without your being notified and authorizing the account. 

When you sign up for Credit Karma, the information you enter is encrypted for your safety and the account numbers or balances come from the credit bureau that CK uses, and that is also encrypted and it's not available to anyone.  Just don't enter anything like account numbers or your social security number on these posts, or you will have real identity theft troubles.

mwedzi

Yes, all of them had fraudulent charges on them.  They have all been cancelled and new cards reissued.  There is no need to dispute;  all the bank and credit card companies accepted that they were fraudulent and discharged them. In fact, all but 3 contacted me about the suspicious charges.  

But I still wonder how it can be that all of my credit cards numbers were taken in the space of 1 month.  Perhaps my identity has been stolen.