Question

striderdps

How fast can I get from fair to good credit with excellent card usage but missed loans?
I had a bankruptcy a few years ago, mainly due to bad decisions as an 18 year old (10 years ago). I had also missed a lot of student loan payments. Since the bankruptcy and being extra careful to do my credit justice, I have raised from very poor, to poor, to fair credit at 657. I have two major credit cards that I never use more than $20 on and pay off immediately. I also have Finger hut that I don't touch and some department store cards with zero balance that I use rarely and pay off within a week. Having the multiple cards with little to no Balance has done huge wonders so far. However, my missed college loan payments (which are now current) haunt me to no end. I also have some hard inquiry hits bringing that category into the red. Is there anything I can do to help with those missed payment hits? I know the hard inquiries won't last too too long.

The inquiries will stay on your

report for 2 years from the date of inquiry. The late loan payments on the other hand will stay on your report for at least 7 years.  FICO and some other credit reporting agencies only factor in your late pays for the last 2 years in their scoring algoritiums.  But others, like mortgage companies, will consider all late pays in the entire 7 years.  There is nothing that i know of that will help hide or remove those from your reports.  Only making on-time payments and time will take care of those. Think of it in terms of averages.  the more on-time payments you have the less the late ones will effect your score.

On a side note, you mentioned that you pay off credit cards with in a week of use. I would say that you are better off letting the account report the balance before making the payment. If you use a card and pay right away, and the card never reports a balance and then shows the payment, That has a detrimental effect on your score. its as if you never use it. (lenders don't like to see that, they want customers that they have a chance to make money off of)   You could continue that way if you like but let the cards report a balance at least 3 or 4 times a year and you could nudge your score up a few more points.