Question

HUSK3Y

How does written off debt effect your credit? Deserving of dispute?
Should you dispute/pay a debt that has been written off? Ideally one that does not appear to have been transferred to another lender? I understand the logic of paying down debt, but i have read throughout the site that certain old debt (7 year) will not help credit scores. . . Is this true or false? I don't see a clear answer from my searches.

Most Helpful Response

As a general rule, if it has been written off and not sold to a third party. DO NOT Contact them at all.  If you do the clock will be reset and it will stay on your report another 7 years. Let them fall off your report, besides paying them off now won't help in the long run.  I made this mistake and it took several years longer to repair my credit.

You're better off putting the money toward paying off any current debt. Get yourself in to a prime position so that when those old accounts fall off your CR, you can move forward much easier.

student loans

My friend is on disability and was offered a deal that would remove the loans as long as she gets this started before 120 days through the dept of edu.Since she is on disability this will help her by paying off the loans.  the office she talked to stated that the loans would be paid off / charged off and before she does this, she is wanting to know if this will hurt her credit?