Question

Tarheel43119

How does switching credit cards within the same company (ex- Chase) impact credit score?
I've been with Chase for 15+ years, so don't want to erase my credit history. Just paid off my Slate balance and don't plan on using card very often. Considering switching to Freedom for the cash back rewards. Will my credit score/history be impacted if I switch? Am I better off just staying with the Slate?

Most Helpful Response

Yes and No

It really depends on the card company themselves.  Some card companies will simply upgrade the account to another account allowing you to keep the original credit information to be reported with the new card terms.... However most will not upgrade without first closing the first card and opening the second card.  So check with the customer service of the card first.  Because closing the first card will definitely drop your score.  If that is the case, simply ask for a second card without closing the first.  And just understand that most card companies will automatically close your accounts if you use them too little.