Question

Rockash

How does paying rent for some other person affect the Credit Score?
HI CK.
I am new to US and currently living in a lease apartment with one of my colleagues. The apartment was booked by my colleague/roommate and by what I had been told, he is the lease owner and I am the lease occupant.

The leasing authority has a website on which my roommate has registered and now he can pay the rent from there by linking his bank account with the online account.

Since we have to share the rent, I thought I will pay the rent every alternate month and in order to do that, I had to link my account to his online lease account.

My question is whether this payment of Rent through the online lease account using my bank account, in any way, affect my credit score? If yes, will the affect be positive or negative? If not, then please advise me on how to enhance my credit score, as currently I have a thin file as reported by CK only.

Thanks.