Question

Shelly210

How Does Past Credit Utilization Affect New Authorized User?
Hi,

I am considering adding my spouse to my current credit card to help him establish a lengthy credit history. My only concern is the utilization is high, will it make a difference to pay off the balance before adding him, or will the entire history of credit utilization also be added on to his report?

adding him while your

utilization is high won't significantly hurt but it will drop his score imediately.  The best situation would be to get the utilization below 30% then add him to the account.  But either way it will eventually help his credit.