Question

1badamexcard

How does one go about getting on record as to WHY a debt hasn't been paid.
I divorced five years ago. My ex-husband (recently deceased) was using an amex card of mine that I thought had been closed. There's now a $1500.00 balance for charges he made last month. Is there a way I can get on record WHY I don't want to pay this bill so if, in the future, anyone checking my credit can get an explanation, rather than just think I don't pay my bills on time?

get copies of all 3 of your reports

to see if which ones are reporting the account.  You can write a letter of explination to each of the CRA's that will posted in your file. Explain what is going on and why its not paid.

Then write a "Validation letter" to the CRA's   you can get a template for this letter on line.  Google it.  The validation letter will require the creditor to prove that you are the responsible party.  Many times a creditor will go back in the account and see if there is another party that they can get the money out of when they are notified that the responsible party is deceased. It ususlly and "authorized signer" or the other party in a joint acoount.  If he was still using and paying this acoount and it was not reporting on your report then they were probably notified that it was no longer a joint account.  If they weren't notified and the account was allowed to remain as it was, then you may end up responsible for it, depending on which state you live in and that states laws. If it was still reporting on your reports then it may have never been changed.