Question

towan64

How does my spouse's credit affect me if we're separated?
I have noticed information on my Equifax credit report that is not correct because my spouse and I have been separated. Is there any way to remove this from my credit report?

Most Helpful Response

Also...

If you are a joint user with a legal document of separation that pre-dates the item's open date, (if the account open date is after your separation date in the document) you can simply dispute the item with the credit bureaus with a letter of dispute showing the date of the separation in a copy of the document.

Got that in writing?

As an AUTHORIZED USER you can just contact the creditor directly and ask to be removed…. They will typically do it without even having to speak to the primary account holder, and the items will be removed from your credit report and out of your score.

However if you are a JOINT USER… you will need legal document showing you are no longer responsible for the debt to be removed.  A ‘legal’ separation will have a court document like a divorce or separation decree that itemizes the debt.  If you don’t have this, get it.  If you already have it and it doesn’t list it specifically, you are still responsible for the debt and must pay to close the account with the creditor.  And the items will still be part of your reports and scores for 7 years after your last payment, or in some states, your last payment arrangement.