Question

mzmoney40

How do you remove things from your credit report that were filed on bankruptcy?
what to do about things still appearing on credit that were filed on bankruptcy

Most Helpful Response

Part of your history.

People mistakenly believe that a bankruptcy removes reports of their credit errors.  Not so.  Any credit transaction you have engaged in MUST be reported according to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, which is a federal regulation.  These items also remain on your credit report for 7 years past the date they were paid off.  There is no way to remove them prior to that time.

bankruptcy

Mine was over 13 years ago and its all still there and from time to time i get requests to pay up how can this happen when it was supposedly forgiven thru bankruptcy

dech1213

Thanks for advice! It is very frustrating when Bankruptcy is done for 4 years. I also have 3 items that ARE NOT MINE or we are renting our house was sold!!! I have 1 credit card!! Only, that's it. Also how in the heck do you get a hold of Credit Karma? I would like to be able to write a memo somewhere on my credit report so that companies can see for themselves, my explanation. This is so frustrating and it isn't fair. Sometimes I just want to forget about it, and figure it is what it is...however I do appreciate everyone's comments and helpful insights. Even though I've worked two jobs for 32 years, it makes me feel like I'm not alone, nor no matter what these companies have to say about my score, I'm still a hard worker not a piece of crap! Thanks for being here!

7 years or 10 years?

I thought it will takke 10 years before it can be removed.

Ocean823

Depends on the chapter of bankruptcy, 7, 11 or 13. I read the delinquent accounts are removed after 7 years, based on the first date of delinquency, regardless of the date you filed bankruptcy.  Only the public record of the bankruptcy remains.

Bankruptcy

I thought after 7 yrs. they just remove it,it has now been 8 and 1/2 years and mine is still on my report,any ideas how to get it removed?