Question

nosiggins

How do you get a charge-off removed from your credit report?
I have an account with a third party collections agency from a Verizon wireless bill I never paid. It is $700. I made the mistake of contacting them about the collection a couple of times. First was about 6 months ago. I had agreed to settle for a certain amount like an idiot by having them take money out of my bank account on a certain day. When the day came around, there wasn't enough in my account, and they didn't take out the money. The second time, about 5 months ago, same thing, though they wanted me to settle for a slightly higher amount. The money wasn't in my account, so it never got taken out.

I want to find out how to remove this item from my credit report. I'm not an idiot, and I know it can be done. I've read on here a few times that sometimes if you dispute items on your report with the bureaus directly, the creditors won't verify the info and the accounts get deleted.

I do feel the need to mention that the credit report says that the account is held by Verizon Wireless - South. HOWEVER, this is not necessarily true. This account was "charged-off" to a third party agency whose company name is nowhere to be found on my credit report. Is this grounds for a dispute???

It does not sound like it.  But you can always read to learn how to file a dispute and "hope" that someone messed up and lost some paperwork, or fails to file it in time.

Basically you messed up and Verizon sold, for pennies on the dollar, your account to a collection agency.  They do not have to report anything, but typically do, to put pressure on people to pay.  The sell off of the debt from Verizon was reported and in fact is correct, so all you can do is punt and pray.

Basically you will have to wait the 7 to 7 1/2 years for it to time off your report.