Question

posey2713

How do you choose between putting money in to a certain account vs paying off/closing another?
My 2 flaws in my credit are 1. I am using more than is best on my credit card and 2. I have 2 other accounts open with student loans. How do I know if it's best to put money in to paying off my cc (which has a higher balance than the others) so I am using less credit or just paying off/closing one of my student loans? Which will help improve my score best in the end?

Most Helpful Response

As long as all accounts are current and in good standing, here is your answer. You would want to pay the credit card down in order to improve your credit. Paying off and closing loans will usually ding your credit, not help it. Lower utilization on credit cards is a quick way for a score boost. Be sure to take time to study a little bit on credit everyday, there is a lot to know.

posey2713

Thank you for your help! 

You need to discipline yourself when it comes to credit card usage and keep it no higher than 10%.  Also, paying interest when it isn''t absolutely necessary is wasted money.  As for the student loans, they will remain due until paid off so you need to start working on clearing them up. 

If you haven't read the articles on this site, please take the time to do so.  This information is valuable and will help you for the rest of your life.