Question

RJR2000

How do you avoid your cc debt going to a collections agency but can't pay off the minimum?
I'm in a mess right now. I'm a college student but I've ran up my credit card to an exorbitant amount [personal reasons] and I do have a job, but currently I'm not needed so I don't have any income. I'm currently looking for a second job but I haven't had anything come through and I am still looking. As my title states, how can I avoid my debts going to collections, yet I can't make the minimum payments? What can I do?

First thing is to quit using the credit cards!! Contact the credit card companies and let them know what is happening.  They might close your cards, which is their right and you will still owe the balance due.  No guarantees the cards won't go into collections, either.  If you haven't already, please read the articles here so you can better understand how credit works, since that is the focus of Credit Karma.