Question

LittleShopper

How do multiple payments and charges affect credit utilization?
Hi everyone,

I'm repairing my credit and want to have a better understanding of credit utilization. I currently have a $1000 credit limit and ideally I should use it up to 20%. To maintain it, can I pay the card off every week and charge it again within same month? Let's say I spend $200, and pay back $200 next week, and charge it again for $150 another week and pay if back, etc. to pay it in full at the end of the month, of course. This way, does my credit utilization stay below 20% or do all the charges sum up above that point? Is is good for my credit score or I should avoid charging the card again after making a micro-payment?

Hi LittleShopper,

Great question! Your utilization rate is reported to the credit bureau just once per month as a "snapshot". The balance on the reporting day is the reported balance for the entire month, regardless of how many times you make payments and new charges. 

Learn more here: https://www.creditkarma.com/article/credit-card-utilization

If you make multiple payments throughout the month that's fine. They do not report the total you spent all month. Only what you owe on the statement closing date.