Question

BaffledByThisStuff

How do law firms get old credit card debt?
I had a credit card debt from 2007 that I didn't know I had until a law firm contacted me for payment plus an outrageous amount of interest and penalties. How does a law firm get ahold of something that old? This was a credit card I thought I paid off and closed the account in 2007 when I divorced. Is there somewhere to read up on what law firms can do in this regard?

This sounds like one of those junk debt collectors that can be referred to in a variety of colorful, but tasteless, terms I refrain from using.  You can turn this around real fast.  First,search online for Statute of Limitations on Collections and find what it is in your state, since it does vary.  A couple of states have a 10 year SOL but most expire in 4-6 years.  If the SOL has expired, send these scuzzballs a letter (certified, return receipt requested) advising them that, since the SOL has expired on this debt, they are to cease collection activity immediately.  Keep a copy of the letter for your records and hang on to the receipt card when it comes back. This should stop them in their tracks.