Question

asasn8r

how do I take my wifes name of of a joint account after my wife passed away
We have had many joint accounts with long history, and no problems with late payments. My wife passed away and I would like to keep the accounts due to there longevity. I'm affraid that if I just close them My credit score will go down. They have a combined 80 to 100 K of credit but my income is only Social Security so If I open new accounts At most I will get 5 to 10 K of credit. I know that I will never use the credit as I pay them off every month. Any help would be appreciated.

You definitely want to keep those accounts active because you  have built up a good credit score over time and deserve to have that 'cushion'.  I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's passing.  But, her name on the accounts is not a problem unless someone were to try to fraudulantly open accounts in her name.  You can just keep the accounts as they are and, given their favorably long history, that is of great benefit to you.  Getting new 'in your name only' accounts would likely reduce your total credit limit and your score.  You sound as if you are handling your credit very well and I'd recommend just letting it stand as it is.