Question

Netty2968

How do I take my name off the student loans I co-sign for my son

You don't, unless he resubmits applications to obtain the loans in his own name, or the loans are paid off. As a co-signer you are responsible for the debt; that is what co-signing means.

mindjazz

Some lenders — particularly student loan issuers — have a release option for co-signers, according to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. A release can be obtained after a certain number of on-time payments and a credit check of the original borrower to determine whether he or she is now creditworthy.

Most lenders don’t let borrowers know if or when they can obtain a release; borrowers have to seek out that information themselves. The CFPB offers a couple of sample letters to lenders requesting a release.

Other than that I don't know. Never, ever, ever co-sign on a loan unless you're willing to accept the full burden of payments.