Question

shanstu70

how do i settle with debt collector
I have what I believe is an error in my record of debt collections. I have a medical bill that was later paid by insurance. I ignored the bills because they had been covered by insurance, but 3 years later they are sent to collections. I am about to apply for a mortgage and want to make this go away by offering to pay a portion without admitting it is valid.

If you had taken the time to read the articles here, you would already have that answer.  Jus tpaying the bill will not make it go away.  There is a statute of limitations on collections that varies by state and it would help knokwing that.  Also, the best  way to get something off your credit report is to negotiate a 'pay for delete' agreement, also covered in the articles here.  AND, until you understand basic credit management, you are not really in any position to buy a house, and mortgages are also covered in the articles here.  BTW, you joined CK the same year I did (2012),