Question

doodlesbug

how do i settle with a creditor and pay off my account and have the account cleared?

How to get agreement in writing

I was sent to collections with direct tv.  I called and and they offered me a settlement  which was less than original bill, and I asked them to remove it from my credit. The rep told me that 28 days after that it would appear as settled then 45 day after that they would request for deletion.  But there were no guaranties  , and I asked what if I paid original balance , she said it would indicate on my credit report closed acct  but they can  not request delete from file because they don't have the format for that.   Makes no sense.  And of course they are not will to give me something in writing until pmt is made..  So now what are my options . 

If you have all the funds to pay it off in full. Contact the creditor and ask for a "pay for delete" agreement. This is when they agree to remove the negative item from your report if you pay the collections item in full. Make sure you get the agreement in writing before you pay...