Question

alwaysalady55

How do I resolve credit score hits due to delinquencies generated by being an authorized user ?
I have recently taken a HUGE hit on my credit score due to the fact I was an authorized user on several of my mother's credit card accounts. She was admitted to a nursing home in 10/2013. I paid her bills for 6 months or more until it became clear she would not be coming home and I could no longer afford to meet her financial responsibilities. My credit scores now reflect her delinquencies. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Most Helpful Response

Authorized users can remove accounts

As an authorized user, you have no obligation to keep the items listed on your credit reports.  You are not legally bound to the balances, and the credit bureaus will remove once requested by the company or the authorized user.  First I would just contact the company and ask to be removed as an authorized user.  The accounts will drop off your credit reports and be as if they were never there as soon as the update hits the bureaus.  Just expect a really big change in your score, because while you remove the bad variables from your score (like the missed payments), you will also be removing the good variables (like age of accounts).  So if there are any accounts still in good standing, I wouldn’t remove them.