Question

Pigeonherd

How do I remove fraudulent credit card charges from my credit report?
My credit card numbers were swiped, and before American Express realized it had happened someone maxed out my card with thousands of dollars in weaponry. I realize that now that the charges have been removed from my CC statement my credit score will be fixed, but this isn't the sort of charge I'd like to have reflected on my credit report (from a moral standpoint). How do I go about requesting these charges be removed? Will they disappear when my report is next updated and they are not on my card statement?

Hi Pigeonherd, Your credit report doesn't contain information about what types of items were purchased. American Express will report your balance and whether or not you paid on time, but they won't pass on any information to the credit bureau about what kind of items you purchase (or in this case, someone purchases fraudulently!).