Question

helloWorlds

How do I remove accounts from my credit report after moving to California from New York?
I have had an old credit card I had accounts go into collections. The last reported date for this card was Jun 18, 2010 and was opened in the state of New York. Currently I am living in California (have been for 6 months).

I am not 100% sure of the law but I am under the impression that this account should have been removed from my record after 5 years if living in New York and 4 years if living in California. Are my assumptions correct? If so how do I go about removing this record from my credit reports?

It should have been removed in New York after five years if you paid it. If you did not pay it then I believe that it stays for a full seven years. New York is the only state that does something like that as far as I am aware. All other states including CA negatives will stay for seven years. Be sure to double check that though, because I am not one hundred percent certain.

The four and five year periods you mentioned were the statute of limitations for collections, meaning the time period allkowed for the creditor to sue to collect on the debt.  This card will remain on your credit report for 7 years past the date it first went unpaid, THEN it will drop off.