Question

Cinderella47

How do I remove a debt that my name is no longer attached to
I signed a quit claim deed on my mortgage when I got divorced. How do I get these removed from credit history

Most Helpful Response

Folks get confused about this all the time.  First of all, a Quit Claim Deed doesn't do squat.  I assume this was something you did on your own, without involving the mortgage company, right?  (I work for a mortgage company.)  What you did was actually illegal, because you don't own the home, therefore, you can't deed it to anyone.  The mortgage company has a lien on it and you are on that mortgage until your ex refinances into his name only.  That is the ONLY way to get your name off a mortgage.  Doesn't matter what your divorce decree says, that is a document that involved only you and your ex.  After all, when you purchased the home the mortgage company considered  your income and credit along with his, so they have to make sure he can qualify for the loan on his own before they will agree to take you off of it.  If he can't re-fi, you are stuck.  Sorry!

DCD1969

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

I just did this 2 weeks ago...I waited 6 looooooooooong years for my ex to be able to refinance on his own.. THEN...AND ONLY THEN...was I going to sign any quit claim..A quit claim gives you NO rights to the property whatsover in the event something happend to your ex....AND you are still on the mortgage so are legally responsible for the mortgage, taxes, insurance --if he decided to default it would fall on your lap. My quit claim was filled out and executed at the time of his refinance closing, it was a condition of his loan. Holy cow i hope you can get off that mortgage !

First, you should obtain a copy of your full-length credit report from TransUnion. Once you have this, you can file a dispute to have incorrect information removed. You can get a free credit report on Credit Karma at https://www.creditkarma.com/myfinances/creditreport.