Question

Technorebel

How do I remove a "charged off" mark with record of deposited payment?
A few years ago, I lost income for a few months while I had ~$700 debt on a CapitalOne credit card. After 3 months of missing payments I was able to pay the balance in full from their website from my linked checking account. The transfer to them came up in the history of my checking account and I never found any reversal.

A day or so after making the payment I was no longer able to login to my online account, getting some generic error asking me to call support. I called and found out I couldn't log in because my account had been closed. I assumed I had broken some term for paying so late and they wanted to drop me regardless of the payment getting received, I never received any further bills or statements.

More recently upon a closer reading of my credit report I realized that the derogatory mark on that account didn't just indicate they closed the account on me for late payment, but also that I never paid the balance and still owed it. I called CapitalOne and the rep was able to confirm that my closed account currently showed a now ~$1000 balance, but he couldn't investigate any missing payments. I forget exactly what next steps he suggested but it sounded like a runaround.

The date of the payment _just_ went beyond how far back my checking account provider lets me view or downloads transactions online, all I have right now is the date and amount of the payment in my notes from last time I looked at it. The checking account is with CapitalOne 360 (ING Direct at the time of the payment) so theoretically the records of the debt and the completed payment are at the same company. I'm hoping I'll be able to call order an older statement that covers the month with the payment separately from disputing the debt.

Whether I can get a statement showing the payment or not, how should I go about getting this invalid debt and derogatory mark on my credit report erased?

Dispute it with the credit bureau

This is your best bet. File an online dispute with the credit burea that shows the balance you want to dispute.