Question

kmunchkin09

How do I reduce my debt and increase my credit score?
I have a number of credit cards. Havertys (with my husband), Target, Walmart, Davids Bridal, JCPenny, Kohls, Capital One Platinum, with Capital One Quicksilver and Citi Double Cash being the most recent ones. My JCPenny and Kohls have a 0 balance. My Capital One Platinum, Target and Walmart are closest to their limit. Should I close the cards with no balance so I wont use them? Should I close the Target and Walmart cards after I pay them off because I think I have a problem with using them. I can't close the Platinum because its my longest credit line. My husband and I have created a debt clearance plan but its just started. Will my score drop if I close my accounts? WIll it increase if I use my new cards and pay them off soon instead of waiting? I need help!

Most Helpful Response

Your score will most likely decrease if you close cards and using your new cards and paying them off will not increase your scores. For score increases you need to work on getting your cards with balances paid down. I am not sure what to advise, usually I will tell people to not close any credit accounts, but if you cannot trust yourself to keep yourself out of major debt, then in your case it may be a good move, I don't really know. At least you know and admit that you do have a problem and that is the first step to getting on the right track. I wish you the best of luck and I wish you the self control that is needed for you to live a better and happier life. You can do it with the power of determination.

Don't close cards!!!

Each card has a credit limit and the total of the credit limits improves your credit score.  Do not close the accounts or you will reduce your credit score.  Lock the cards up so you can't use them and learn how to use credit wisely. Work on getting the cards paid off and don't use them unless you can pay the bill off when it comes in.  You have to learn proper money management  I hope you have read the articles on this site so you can learn about credit.  If you haven't, please do so.  You'll be a wiser person when you do.