Question

Anayeli02

How do I rebuild my credit after a bankruptcy?
I filed CH. 7 bankruptcy about 3 years ago. I am trying to rebuild my credit but am not sure the best way to go about it. I currently have 1 secured credit card and 2 student loans. Should I be doing more to help build my credit score? My score is currently 642 and I would like to get to 750 or better.

Most Helpful Response

It'll take time.

A bankruptcy is on your credit report for up to 10 years llisted as 'Public Record" due to its being a legal action.  You're off to a good start with the secured card.  A good thing to do is work on getting the student loans paid off since they will be "due and payable" until such time as they are paid off.  They have no statute of limitations.

Using the secured card prudently and paying the balance in full every month will also work in your favor.  Depending on the procedures /policies of the lending institution, such prudent use may soon get you and "unsecured" card (which you want to be careful with at all times anyways.)

Play with the credit simulator on this site and see what happens.  You can do the "what if" game in the simulator without the dangers you may face if you were to make those decisions in real life without knowing the consequences.  It is very helpful.  And check out the other tools here that you can use.  It will make you a more 'savvy' consumer in the future.

Wish you the best.