Question

dissonance1

How do I not get rejected again by Citi for CC application in this situation?
So I applied for Citi Simplicity Card. Apparently I was rejected because of a serious delinquency on my record. I checked creditkarma, and alas i had a BoA card that was in the "120-149 Days Late" range for four months. How long does this record stay? Will Citi NEVER accept a CC application from me because of this? If they will, when and how?

This delinquency will show on your credit report for 7 years, as is clearly stated in the very educational articles on credit that are presented on this site.  You can learn a lot that will help you build a good credit score if you would take the time to read this information.  My score improved greatly.

Late pays on open accounts will

Stay on your report for 7 years. 

Citi, as well as other lenders rarely open new lines of credit if those late pays are fairly recent.  Generally the older they get the less they will impact your score. It all depends on which scoreing model they use.  i.e. FICO 8 seems to let those slide after 2 years.   FICO 9 doesn't. While some models such as the one used here on CK Vantage 3,  seems to count every late pay in the last 7 years in your score.  

Plus, Credit Scoring uses averages in their algoritiums. So if you have 3 late pay on 1 credit card that you've had for 2 years, thats 1 out of 8 payments that were late.  But you have 3 late pays on 3 cards that are 5 years old  then your average would drop to 1 out 60 payments that were late.  a much better average that would have less of a negitive effect on your score. 

But, also be aware that any late pays in the last year are going to be more heavily weighted as well. 

The chances are good that Citi may eventually allow you to apply for a card.  The Simplicity card with 21 months 0% is considered one of their "Prestige" cards and are harder to get than their other cards.   You might want to wait a few months and then try for one of their other products.

undefined