Question

Jlybnz

How do I know bankruptcy is the best way to go? My debt is $90k, $30k of that in student loans.

I would recommend against going that way

Student loans will not disappear with bankruptcy and they are collectible forever until paid. Getting a low income teaching job or government job would give you some student loan forgiveness. You might want to look into those options. I would make consolidated payments to alleviate your debt for the rest of the debt...

With regard to student loans, have you already consolidated them?  There are many great re-payment options, including income-based if you qualify.  It costs you nothing to find out.  Go to Student Federal Aid or google "student loans" and see if you can find some financial relief that way.

If you do decide on bankruptcy, please make sure you are using a reputable firm.  I've seen too many people pay thousands for an attorney to file BK and then the attorneys do nothing afterwards.  Since the borrower doesn't realize a Plan has to be filed with the BK trustee they get kicked out of BK with less money and same debts.  I would truly look for another option before filing BK, it isn't the quick fix many folks think it is.