Question

mnblondie1

How do I improve score enough to get home equity loan to pay debt?
have 2 judgments and several charge off and collection account...All from credit cards after getting laid off. Once I was on my feet again, I tried to get home equity to pay creditors and was denied because my score has to be between 640-680. My score is currently 549. If I get a secured credit card and pay timely, will my credit score increase enough to get the consolidation loan?

Most Helpful Response

You want to put your house on the line because of unsecured debts?  Not smart at all.  You need to get those judgements and collections taken care of without the equity loan.  Read the articles provided here and also search for Dave Ramsey's site so you can have the information you need to help you get the bills paid.  If you default on these debts, only your credit score hurts.  If you default on a home equity loan, you're likely to be homeless.

I would recommend making payment arr on the judgements and charge-off's, if possible.  I too had some debt from when I lost my job and after I got on my feet, I made payment arr with ALL of my creditors.  Some, I paid $5/month, others I paid half or 30% to settle the account.  I then applied for a capital one card and started with a 500 limit and it was just increased to 750 by makingmy payments on time.  My credit score went from 449 to 597 in 3 months.  I paid off past due and collections over a year ago so the increase in score was by simply opening a new credit card and paying on time each month.