Question

lilred4446

how do I improve my credit history?
I have had a credit history since 1965, it was so good that I was able to buy a house on my own score and history excluding my husbands info. I had excellent credit until 2010 when I had to sell my house short sale due to a divorce. I was left with a lot of outstanding debt and had to file bankruptcy in 2011. Why wouldn't my excellent credit bare witness to my past or does the bankruptcy negate all good things?

Most Helpful Response

The bankruptcy is reflective of your current credit record.  Although, depending on if it was a 7 or 13 it could be balling off in a few years.    Just as you may have 7 years of on time payments, the one payment which is late is reflective of your current habits.   Things change, your credit is reflective of your current status.   Work to restore you credit and you can once again be back to where you were in 1965 if not better.

lilred4446

Thank you for your comment.  Referring to your last sentence how do I restore my credit if I am unable to get a credit card based on the bankruptcy?  I did have a secured credit account because I deposited $500.00 to secure it but when I left Florida I closed that account because SunTrust bank was not in the city I moved to.

Is it possible I could get a small level credit card that I could pay off every month?