Question

HaleyRose924

How do I get my CC payments to reflect on my credit score if I'm paying it back through a 3rd party?
I lost my job when I opened my first credit card (I'm 20, I opened it when I was 18). I had been paying everything off on time until I lost my job. Once I did, I wasn't able to pay on it and eventually, they closed the account on me. Not only that, but they also went through a lawyer to get me to pay it back. I've had a new job and have been making my payments on it every month. I have one more year worth or payments left on this account. So, since I have been consistent and on time, how so I get these reports to reflect my credit score. The amount was for a little over $1,500 and it's the only thing that caused my credit to be as bad as it is. It has been steadily increasing, but I feel like I should be in better standing since I've made so many on-time payments.

unfortunatley...

third party collections don't show as regular payments on your credit card.  The card sold the debt to a third party so they are no longer associated with that debt.  All you can hope for is that when the account is paid in full that they will remove the negitive comments from your report.  Generally they don't do this unless you have negotiated it as part of the pay off. If you find your self in a position where you have a lump sum of cash (i.e. tax return etc.) Try calling them and see if you can get them to agree to an early pay off and get them to agree to a "pay per delete" where they will remove the derog's when the account is paid in full.  Get this agreement in writting before you pay,  they have a nasty habit of forgetting that they agreed to it on the phone and don't follow through.

HaleyRose924

Right now, I'm not able to pay the debt in full. When I call, whom would I be contacting? Also, could I have it put in writing that upon my completion of pay-off, they will delete the derogatory remark? Lastly, Credit Karma states that I have no derogatory remarks. The 3rd party I am paying my debt through is actually a law firm, does that make a difference?