Question

gamermomd

How do I get Midland Credit Management off my back?
Has anyone had any sort of success dealing with midland credit management? All I seem to hear is horror stories about how they harass people , and they are listing debt on my credit report as being a new debt even though it is several years old.I wouldn't mind trying to clear up an issue if I knew they would actually work with me, and remove bad info from my credit report, but I keep reading about how badly they treat people and how they never remove info from the reports. They also seem very litigious, so I am afraid of being sued. Help please! What do I do, I cannot afford a lawyer!

Most Helpful Response

That is bad advice

Never pay off an old debt. Especially to collection agencies. They bought that debt which has been charged off for pennies on the dollar and get most of your money if you decide to pay, in commissions. 

PLUS it will re-age your acct and it will show as brand new debt!

I beat them

Be persistent with them. Don't give up. I've beaten them but it was far from easy. They are a junk debt buyer out for maximum profits and don't care about consumers at all.

Take it in steps.

First: Do not talk to them on the phone.  You can ask them to stop calling you and only contact you in writing. If they persist  don't talk to them, Just repeat the phrase, "I have asked you to contact me by mail, stop calling me" then hang up. For added messure, keep a list of the dates and times that they do call, this could be helpful later. 

Second: follow up in writting.  Send a Validation Letter, templates can be found on line.  The law requires them to provide you with written documentation of whats in the file. Be sure to reiterate that you only want them to contact you by mail in you letter. If they can not provide the cvalidation of the account they have to remove it and stop contacting you.  If they provide the info then you can send them a letter outlining how you want to prceed with the pay off of this debt.  YOU do not have to go along with any scheme they propose as long as you offer a reasonale alternative for repayment.  

if the amount is not to large the original account is old, And if you can afford to make a large payment, you might try An Offer and Compromise. offering 40 to 60% of the balance if they will take it as full payment and close the collection account.  

NEVER send money until you have any agreement in writting. Bill collectors have notoriously bad memories, What they say on the phone never seems to be what they agree to on paper.

All mail to any collections company should be sent  Return Receipt Requested/Signature Required  That way they can not say they didn't get your letters. 

Good Luck! 

More on Validation letters and Offer and comprimise at: 

CreditInfoCenter.com   and   credit.about.com  

Negotiating

Over the course of a couple of months I was able to negotiate a $1033 dept to $620.  I probably could have gone lower but it was reasonable-ish so I took it.

They're not easy to negotiate with and if they think you want to settle they wont budge.  My expereince was that when I didn't answer their calls or call them for several weeks there was a drop in their price.

best of luck

Negotiating

best of luck

Midland dispute

Can you tell me exactly how you beat Midland Funding?