Question

gamermomd

How do I get Midland Credit Management off my back?
Has anyone had any sort of success dealing with midland credit management? All I seem to hear is horror stories about how they harass people , and they are listing debt on my credit report as being a new debt even though it is several years old.I wouldn't mind trying to clear up an issue if I knew they would actually work with me, and remove bad info from my credit report, but I keep reading about how badly they treat people and how they never remove info from the reports. They also seem very litigious, so I am afraid of being sued. Help please! What do I do, I cannot afford a lawyer!

Most Helpful Response

I Got Them Off!

I decided to come and post y reply because I remember coming across this thread when I was looking to get them off my back. I did not follow any of the advice given here, however. What I did was call them, recorded the call and told them as soon as they informed me that the call was being recorded that I was also recording on my end. Then I stated the date, asked them to confirm, told them that I do not recall the debt, am disputing it's validity and requested that they send me all information they have validating the debt.

I figured I would go this route instead of going to the trouble of sending certified letters and all that jazz. As long as they confirm the date and make the request, I thought that should be sufficient. They agreed to send me the information, which they did. They also called me and tried to arrange payment, but I told them that I am still investigating the matter and pointed out the age of the debt (6 years) and commented that it should be coming off soon. No deal was made during that call.

They sent me one more letter asking to combine the two accounts (about $5K in cc debt) and offered me a one-time payment of 40%. I didn't respond and was preparing to have this long battle and several rounds of negotiations with them. But to my surprise,  just two weeks ago I saw that it was dropped from Transunion and last week it dropped off Experian. I made the call on November 9, 2016 (2 months ago). It may have just been the age of the debt, but I am actually surprised to see them removed. I thought they at least would've made me wait the 7 years plus 6 months before they stopped reporting it. 

That is bad advice

Never pay off an old debt. Especially to collection agencies. They bought that debt which has been charged off for pennies on the dollar and get most of your money if you decide to pay, in commissions. 

PLUS it will re-age your acct and it will show as brand new debt!

I beat them

Be persistent with them. Don't give up. I've beaten them but it was far from easy. They are a junk debt buyer out for maximum profits and don't care about consumers at all.

Take it in steps.

First: Do not talk to them on the phone.  You can ask them to stop calling you and only contact you in writing. If they persist  don't talk to them, Just repeat the phrase, "I have asked you to contact me by mail, stop calling me" then hang up. For added messure, keep a list of the dates and times that they do call, this could be helpful later. 

Second: follow up in writting.  Send a Validation Letter, templates can be found on line.  The law requires them to provide you with written documentation of whats in the file. Be sure to reiterate that you only want them to contact you by mail in you letter. If they can not provide the cvalidation of the account they have to remove it and stop contacting you.  If they provide the info then you can send them a letter outlining how you want to prceed with the pay off of this debt.  YOU do not have to go along with any scheme they propose as long as you offer a reasonale alternative for repayment.  

if the amount is not to large the original account is old, And if you can afford to make a large payment, you might try An Offer and Compromise. offering 40 to 60% of the balance if they will take it as full payment and close the collection account.  

NEVER send money until you have any agreement in writting. Bill collectors have notoriously bad memories, What they say on the phone never seems to be what they agree to on paper.

All mail to any collections company should be sent  Return Receipt Requested/Signature Required  That way they can not say they didn't get your letters. 

Good Luck! 

More on Validation letters and Offer and comprimise at: 

CreditInfoCenter.com   and   credit.about.com  

Midland dispute

Can you tell me exactly how you beat Midland Funding?

Negotiating

Over the course of a couple of months I was able to negotiate a $1033 dept to $620.  I probably could have gone lower but it was reasonable-ish so I took it.

They're not easy to negotiate with and if they think you want to settle they wont budge.  My expereince was that when I didn't answer their calls or call them for several weeks there was a drop in their price.

best of luck

Negotiating

best of luck